Produced, directed, scored by & starring Charlie Chaplin. The young Jackie Coogan delivers one of the most precious, endearing child performances in film history as he plays the orphan unwittingly adopted by Chaplin in his signature role as The Little Tramp. At 6 reels, this was Chaplin’s first feature length film as director and a huge hit in its day, bringing in 2.5 million dollars, ten times its production budget. Some stars dread playing alongside children or animals for fear that they will be upstaged. Chaplin apparently didn’t have that problem—this film belongs equally to him and the kid, and their chemistry together is alluring.
About The Author
December 2, 2017
August 30, 2018
August 11, 2018
October 15, 2017
- 1922. Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler. Directed by Fritz Lang.
- Sunday Film Series Week #20: The Princess Bride (1987), Dir. Rob Reiner
- SUNDAY FILM SERIES, WEEK #19: DESPAIR, DIRECTED BY RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER (1978).
- Sunday Film Series, Week #16: Victim, directed by Basil Dearden (1961).
- 1921. “The Kid.” Directed by Charlie Chaplin.